Skip to main content

What “Trial Tech” Leaves Out

It has been quite some time since I posted anything here. Apparently all it took to drag me back was a term that has annoyed me for years: trial tech. I despise it, not because there is anything wrong with the technology side of this business, but because of what the term says about how the role has changed.

When I first started doing this work, the person sitting in the hot seat was more often called a trial consultant, litigation consultant or presentation consultant. That was not just marketing fluff. There was an expectation that you knew the case, understood the evidence and contributed something beyond knowing how to operate the software. You worked with the case team, helped organize the presentation, gave opinions and used your courtroom experience to help make the case easier to understand.

As more people entered the field, the market became increasingly competitive. In my experience, some companies competed by lowering the cost of the person in the courtroom. Along with that came a change in how the role was sold. Consultants increasingly became techs, and the expectations started to change too. A consultant was expected to bring experience and judgment to the table. A tech was expected to operate something.

The problem with that is the person sitting in the hot seat may be one of the most experienced people in the courtroom. A seasoned trial consultant may have been involved in hundreds of trials. Over that time, they have watched openings, direct examinations, cross examinations, expert witnesses, demonstratives, jury reactions and closing arguments play out case after case. They have also seen presentations fail, technology break, witnesses go sideways and carefully prepared examination outlines get tossed aside in the middle of testimony.

There are not many people on a typical case team who have accumulated that kind of courtroom experience. Yet somewhere along the way, that person became a tech.

Some companies have built much of their business model around being seen and not heard. Their person will sit quietly behind the monitors, wait for counsel to tell them what to display and otherwise stay out of the way. I understand why that can sound appealing, but I think it leaves a lot of experience sitting unused behind the monitors. There is a time to speak and a time to shut up, and anyone who has spent enough time in court should know the difference.

Knowing when to stay quiet does not mean you should have nothing to contribute. If I have spent weeks working with the evidence and I see a problem with a presentation, I am going to say something. If a demonstrative is confusing, I am going to say something. If counsel is about to spend fifteen minutes explaining something that could be communicated visually in thirty seconds, I probably have an opinion about that too. That is part of why you hired someone with experience.

The person in the hot seat should know the witnesses, the exhibits and the themes of the case. They should understand where an examination is going and be familiar enough with the evidence to anticipate what may come next. More importantly, when the trial suddenly goes somewhere nobody planned, they should have enough knowledge of the case and enough courtroom experience to react without needing every move explained to them.

Technology itself has become easier over the years. Courtrooms are better equipped. Lawyers are more comfortable with computers. Presentation software is easier to use. Hardware is cheaper and far more reliable than the equipment we dragged into courtrooms twenty years ago. If operating the technology were really the primary value of the job, there would be little reason to pay for someone who has spent twenty or thirty years doing it.

Getting an exhibit onto a screen has never been the difficult part of this work. Knowing what should be on the screen, why it matters and whether it is actually helping the jury understand the case is where the experience comes in. Sometimes that means a photograph instead of ten paragraphs of testimony. Sometimes it means zooming in on one detail. Sometimes it means blanking the screen and letting the jury listen to the witness. That is the part of the job I think gets lost when we reduce the person doing it to a “tech.”

There are plenty of very talented people in this industry who call themselves trial techs, and this is not really about them. My issue is what the term has come to represent. The role has gotten narrower, and technical proficiency is increasingly treated as the whole job instead of one part of it. Technology should support the work, not define the profession.

Popular posts from this blog

Analogies and the courtroom.

"One good analogy is worth three hours discussion." - Dudley Field Malone Over the years I have seen so many complicated concepts vanish into the nether void of the courtroom. Moreover uncomplicated concepts or facts which became bogged down in lawyer speak. One of my jobs as a trial consultant is to assist with breaking down these concepts and facts. The end result is to use visual communication as a tool to help a jury absorb and understand this information.  One of the biggest tools in assisting with this goal is a good analogy. An analogy is defined as non-identical comparisons between two things, with a resulting similar explanatory effect. The best case teams I have worked with over the years have mastered the use of analogy in their presentations. This has been a constant tool and point of interest in my professional career. One of the first things I do when I join a trial team is read all the expert reports. This gives me an instant foundation of the case to...

Video Deposition Tips.

The witness is a doctor who had surgery duties today and he or she is exhausted. Opposing counsel prepped them while you waited in the lobby with the court reporter for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, the videographer walks out to the lobby to verify the equipment is setup and the prep session is over. You sit patiently and wonder if the sound of your stomach rumbling with hunger pains will be captured by the microphone. What else could go wrong? Unfortunately, in a video deposition much more. My big break in the litigation support industry was about 15 years ago. I took what I thought was a summer job as a legal videographer. Little did I know what was about to happen in terms of my career path. I only lay that foundation because even now so many years later little has changed with video depositions. OK, sure now we have better technology but the basic underlying mistakes made are the same. So I just thought I would share a few tips and observations here on my blog. There a...

There can be no words without images

The above quote from Aristotle (384-322 B.C.) is the Tao of visual communication. It has been a while since I posted here. Returning to law firm life has kept me very busy the last eight months. Additionally, my self-imposed writer’s block prevents me from publishing unless the content is substantive. I abhor bloggers who post one paragraph or a random thought. That just adds to my impending carpal tunnel generated by gratuitous clicking through rubbish. Anyway, I just completed a trial in Philadelphia and witnessed (no pun intended) a stunning example of visual communication at play. It inspired me to return to this blog and write a tad about my experience. For background, our case had a voluminous amount of data, to the sum of several hundred thousand pages. There were many parties involved, and it was a bench trial, much to the dismay of plaintiff’s counsel. Our judge was an elderly but scholarly man who was interested in the facts and not a sideshow. Therefore, we had the task of ...